Saturday, June 11, 2011

Edelweiss, A Mountain Flower


This morning as I was taking my early stroll through the garden, I came upon the Edelweiss.
Every year I am delighted to see it. The flower has many memories connected to it. In my youth I would climb the mountains in Colorado and wish that a young man would offer me the edelweiss, the flower of love. But I only saw the flower in garden retail stores. When I visited the mountains in Switzerland and Austria, I looked for the flower but didn't find a single one. However, I found dried Edelweiss embedded in jewelry.
Thus, when my husband and I exchanged wedding gifts, we gave each other a necklace with a dried Edelweiss. I like the myth or story of the young man climbing the high mountains in Switzerland to find an Edelweiss and bringing it back home to declare his love.
A few years ago I discovered the Edelweiss plant for sale at a retail store. Immediately I purchased two plants and planted them. One died two years later but one comes back every year. When I move to Arkansas I shall take the plant with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment