Thursday, June 23, 2011

Blue Delphinium, A Flower For June and July Weddings





The Delphinium is a perennial flowering plant in the buttercup family, Ranunculaceae, with flowers varing in color from purple and blue to red, yellow or white. The flower has five petal-like sepals which grow together to form a hollow pocket with a spur at the end, which gives the plant its name. The scientific name comes from the Latin for dolphin, alluding to the shape of the opening flower. Other names are larkspur, lark's claw, knight's spur and lark's heel from Shakespeare's writings.

Blue is my favorite flower. When I was choosing my bridal bouquet, I asked the florist for blue flowers. Since I was married in early July, I chose blue delphiniums that were blooming at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment